Threats to the network, are concerns that are increasingly growing for small to medium sized businesses. We have talked before about different steps to take to help secure the network, but another is question is why? Why are hackers so interested in breaking into my network and what are they looking for in doing so? Answering these questions will help decide what we are protecting, and how important it is to protect it. Below we have listed out 6 major areas that hackers are searching for when breaking into a network.
1) Company Information. When breaking into a network a hacker may just be looking for general company information. An example would be a proprietary process that is used as a competitive advantage for your company, which the hacker then turns and sells to a competitor.
2) Client Lists/ Client Info. Perhaps you are storing client information on your network such as credit card numbers or even social security numbers, it is obvious what a hacker can do with that information. If you are storing more basic information on your network such as phone numbers or addresses, they can use this information to contact your clients and act as you to gather more information.
3) Destroy Data. Some hackers just get excited from the thrill of being able to bring down others. They may break in and bring down the network and destroy all of the data, simply because they thought it would be fun.
4) Spam Relay Services. Hackers may break into your network to send out spam. This way they will be able to send out their spam, but it will be coming through your name and not theirs.
5) Holding Information For Money. Breaking into your network to steal all of your information and hold it ransom, is an obvious reason why a hacker may break into a network. Hackers know how valuable this data can be to an organization, and thus
6) Vulnerability Easy Access. Let’s compare this to your home, if you leave your front door wide open do you think you are likely to have your home broken into? It is the same thing for network, if you leave your network vulnerable hackers are more likely to break in because it is easy.
These are just some of the main things hackers may be looking for, and why they would break into your network. Click the following link if you are interested another article: Basic Steps Behind Network Security.