High speed internet is critical to your business and keeping your employees working efficiently. Every day new threats arise to internet security, which can risk your financial information, client information, employee information and much more. The internet is full of thieves looking to breach security with the end result of earning cash at you or your businesses expense. If you are not taking the proper steps to protect yourself and your business, you could be exposing yourself to these threats and costing yourself a lot of money. Please take some of the following steps and be sure your business is implementing them in your strategy to be protected from these threats.
1) Use the best anti-malware possible- Do not use the free software for your business, because as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for.” Your computer should be equipped with the latest security software, web browsers and operating systems. This will be your best defense against viruses, malware and other online threats that are constantly changing.
2) Patch when prompted to- When you are told to update your software to the newest version do so as soon as possible, or be sure the company you outsource to is doing this
3) Train Everyone in basic Security- Inform all employees of best security practices, such as avoiding links from unknown emails as well as appropriate internet use and sites.
4) Secure your Wi-Fi network- If your company uses a Wi-Fi network make sure it is secure, encrypted and hidden. Do not broadcast the network name and password protect your Wi-Fi.
5) Firewall Setup and Logs- Setting up a firewall will assist in preventing outsiders from accessing data on your private network. If your employees work from home, ensure that they will be protected at home as well. Check your firewall logs for patterns, if a particular IP address is pinging your network or a specific port on your setup it may suggest a virus is present.