Email is a main communication in business today. Often people feel overwhelmed with the amount of emails they receive and trying to keep up with them. The reason people get overwhelmed will often be due to an external or internal reason. You may be receiving too many emails that you do not want, or they may just be longer than necessary and taking too long to read. However, you also may not be organizing your emails efficiently or have proper spam filters set. We have compiled some basic tips below to manage your inbox effectively to reduce stress and save you time.
1) Set a dedicated email time. Whether you decide to wake up a half hour early every day or prefer to do it right before you go to sleep, set some time aside to go through your inbox and organize your emails. Whatever time you do choose, stick with it, this will allow you to concentrate during a specific time to keep your emails organized.
2) Set up folders. Organize your emails by type into different folders. This will allow you to stay more organized when responding to emails and will help use your time more efficiently when looking for past emails.
3) Use proper subject lines and keep emails on topic. By sending out emails with proper subject lines and staying on one particular topic, you will generate more efficient responses. The more precise you are the less likely you are to see subsequent emails generating questions and asking for additional clarity.
4) Acknowledge email receipt. Even if you will be unable to fully read the email for some time, let the sender know you received it. This will help to avoid the sender wondering if you ever did receive the email, and the possibility of an unnecessary follow up email from them.
5) Don’t send unnecessary email. There are many occasions where not everyone that is being sent an email needs to receive the email. This will lead to additional responses flooding your inbox with no purpose. Limit the amount of emails you send out, and to who they are being sent out, and you will receive less unnecessary emails.